Monday, March 21, 2011

Change


Some one told me once, “ You don’t like change, do you?”   I had to stop and think about that for a minute but the truth is I don’t mind change.  I don’t love it either but change for a lack for a better word is good.  If I didn’t like change I would not have relocated from Cleveland, Ohio to Austin, Texas. 

I had lived in Cleveland all of my life minus the year I lived in Washington, DC after graduating college.  After being laid off from my job of 14 years, unable to find work in Ohio and having the desire to obtain a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and compete at a higher level I packed up my belongings and moved to Austin. 

Now being here in Austin, it feels like my life is in constant motion.  Like a wave bouncing me from one place to the next.  Especially in the past couple weeks.  From having to move from where I’m currently living, relocating my office and changes at the academy; I’m struggling to hold on to my sanity and keep a routine. 

Ah yes, my routine.  Okay I have to admit I don’t like it when I have to change my routine.  I am a slave to it.  I love the structure and organization to it all.  Something my life has been lacking since moving to Austin; which could be a good thing. 

But like I just wrote change is good and it is healthy and part of the normal growing process.  We need change.  That is how we adapt and grow as a person.  If we cannot adept to change we will die.   Some of the strongest people I know have over come incredible odds to achieve their goals.   They’ve had one obstacle after another placed in their way yet they’ve always had this, ‘If they can do it so can I’, attitude.

The next few months will present many changes not only for me personally but also professionally.  Even though this will be a challenging time I look forward to the change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment